Friday, August 5, 2016

Surgery and recover- Hypocalcemia and Hypomagnesia- Getting back on Track!!

Hey everyone! So very sorry to all of you. It has been a very long time. 

For those who didn't know, I was found to have two large masses on my thyroid. They decided they needed to remove my entire thyroid to check for cancer. Praise GOD no cancer!! My surgery went very well, but my recovery has been rough. 

My doctor told me in the beginning that 1-2% of people have issues after a thyroidectomy with calcium levels due to the parathyroids that they do leave in place. Sometime they can be damaged, taken out accidentally, or they can just be shocked and not want to kick in and work. The job of the parathyroid is to regulate calcium as well as other things in your body. So when they do not work, then you lose calcium and FAST! This is called Hypocalcemia.  

I had surgery on July 14, 2016. I left the hospital July 15, 2016. I was put back in the hospital for 5 days on July 16! My calcium had dropped to under 5, normal range is 8.5-10.5. The symptoms you can start having are tingly lips, face, fingers, and toes. Also severe cramps, like charlie horses, in limbs as well. I was also going numb from knees to toes and elbows to finger tips. It was not fun. I had to recieve IV calcium, magnesium, and D3. Also I had to take it orally. When I was discharged I was still low but being managed by oral meds. I am still on them, but the symptoms have gone and levels have risen up to the normal level. Now prayers that we can reduce the calcium meds and it will stay up!

I am starting to feel like myself and able to do much more. My family and friends have been so wonderful during this time. I am so thankful for all the prayers, time given, meals made, and hands on board to get things done. 

I am hoping to get back on track with THM and get menus flying out!! I have been working on transferring some of our old cheap and money saving recipes into THM. Hopefully I can get some of them up and help some of you save money!! We have hit a hard time finacial wise and need to spend as little as possible. I seriously want to show that you can do THM and eat healthy on little funds. Praying the LORD shows me the way!! Even if it is canned veggies and fruits, it can be done! I know Serene and Pearl has a rough time while writing the books and they talk about eating canned items and making the most out of it. Hoping I can make this work and share it with you folks out there!!

So God Bless!! I will do my absolute best to get to work on this and get things posted and usable for you out there that need some help!

In Christ, 
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment